Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wayback machine

Last Friday was one of those days that I'd promised my wife I'd never do again.
At least until work "forced" me to do it (a 12% staff reduction group-wide, with 7 of our 23-member team included will do that to you).
Took the boys to school at 715am ct, and headed east to Houston, then Clear Lake, then Beaumont, Corrigan and finally back home at 8pm ct. Fortunately, I completed all my stops/assignments, and could relax over the weekend.
Now, the Wayback Machine kicked in at an outpost in Shiro, Texas. Yeah, I know, unless you are a farmer between Huntsville and Austin, you've never heard of Shiro. And you're not missing much either.
Anyway, stopped to fill up at the gas station-doubled-as-a-grocery-store. While setting up the pump, watched a half-jacked-up Chevy Silverado longbed hit the parking lot. Now here is the "flashback" for the Wayback: said truck had quadruple-sized knobby tires on the rear, and regular streets on the front.
For you city-bred types, the rear tires were big, ol' mud tires. The likes of which I haven't seen in damn near 20 years. Made me feel like I was pumping gas in Scurry on my way home to Kaufman, that little trailer outpost east of Dallas where I grew up. And yes, Scurry was smaller and home to more big ol' mud tires than Kaufman was.
I laughed a little at the sight of this truck, and even remembered Frankie V getting his red Ford F150 stuck out by City Lake at lunch time, with his big ol' mud tires.
Wayback. Wayback when.

No comments:

Post a Comment